Tuesday, July 11, 2017

lettering with megan: 1 phrase 10 ways


Hi everyone! It’s Megan from Makewells and I’m here today with a fun practice prompt for you hand letterers out there.  

I really think the best kind of practice is the kind that infuses technique AND creativity.  And this exercise is great for that! It’s also a bit of a challenge - which really motivates me as an artist. Sometimes I need little assignments like this to encourage myself to practice. It’s sort of like a game!

Here’s how to play: Gather 10 (or more) pieces of paper of any size (I like to choose different colors/types/sizes) and as many drawing supplies as you can! Pick a short phrase (3-5 words) to hand letter, and get busy!

One Phrase Ten Ways from Megan E Wells on Vimeo.

In Megan’s Toolkit:



So...after drawing the phrase 10 times in 10 different ways, there are some I like, some I don’t. But as I worked through all 10 of these, I challenged myself to try and make each one work - even if I didn’t like the direction it was going.  

Out of the 10 drawings, I was most happy with the way I drew the words in this one below, so I used it as a sketch to make a final illustration that I turned into a coloring page, free for you to download!


You can download it HERE!

Enjoy practicing and happy lettering!

Xo, Megan

Instagram @makewells

Be sure to check out my lettering classes here!


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails